Sales types are the broad categories which sales fall under, they should not be confused with stock categories. They are arbitrary headings for the different pricing arrangements applicable to each type of customer. For example the fashion house might have sales types for:
- Indented sales - ordered in advance.
- Stock sales - sold from stock.
- Made to Measure - sales made up especially for a customer.
Inventory categories by contrast refer to the type of garment sold. Each customer is defined as belonging to a specific sales type. A sales type could also be used for groupings of customers. Price lists are held against sales types so all customers defined as belonging to the sales type will be on the same pricing.
Pricing can be set up for each stock item by sales type (and currency), e.g. stock sales would attract a premium for the cost of the increased working capital required or perhaps a discount reflecting the scale of purchasing allowed on volume lines. Sales types for retail, wholesale, trade, special may also be appropriate in other types of business.
New sales types/price lists can be added and existing ones amended from setup tab, "Sales Type Maintenance"
Sales Type Code
This is a 2 character code which is stored against the customer to define the sales type applicable to the customer. It must be unique across all sales types. When entering orders the customer sales type is the key, together with the customer's currency that determines the price list to use.
Sales Type Description
20 characters of text are allowed to describe the sales type. This field is used to describe the sales type / price list applicable to the customer.
This script helps you by printing prices of inventory items by inventory categories. Enter the following information to run it:
- Inventory categories. Just click on an option over the scroll menu. To select multiple options, hold down the control [Ctrl] button to select multiple options (for Mac: hold down the command button to select multiple options). Or, if you want to select a block of options, click the first option and then press the shift button and click over the last option of the block. The inventory categories are set up by system administrators in Main Menu > Setup > Inventory Setup > Inventory Categories Maintenance (See: Inventory, Inventory Categories).
- Sales type/Price list. A pull down menu with the types of price lists. The sales types are set up by system administrators in Main Menu > Setup > Receivables/Payables Setup > Sales Types (See: Sales types/price lists, Sales Types/Price Lists).
- Currency. A pull down menu with the currencies used by the company. The currencies are set up by system administrators in Main Menu > Setup > General Setup Options > Currencies Maintenance (See: Currencies, Currencies).
- Show gross profit. A pull down menu to select between price by item or price and gross profit by item. The gross profit value is calculated as gross profit over price -it is NOT a gross profit over cost-, that is: (prices.price - stockmaster.materialcost - stockmaster.labourcost - stockmaster.overheadcost) / prices.price * 100.
- Price listing type. A pull down menu to select between "Default Sales Type Prices" (item's price only), "Customer Special Prices Only" or "Full Description" (item's price and long-description).
- Effective date. Date for which prices must be defined. The start and end dates for a item price are set up in each Item Prices.
- Show obsolete. Click this checkbox to show the obsolete items in the report. Default: off.
- Sort items by. Option to select the order of the items in the report. You can select between "currency, item stock category, and item code" and "currency, item stock category, and item description". Default: currency, category and code.
After clicking the "Print PDF" button, the report is generated with prices of selected items sorted by:
- Currency code (ISO 4217 Codes for the representation of currencies and funds, was set up by developers),
- Inventory category code,
- Item code (set up in each Item Maintenance), and
- Price start date.
The paper size of the report is taken from user's default settings (set up in User Settings). If you want to change this set up, after saving, logout and login for the changes to take place.
For "Customer Special Prices Only" (Price Listing Type option), the portrait orientation has an insufficient width. You should use the landscape orientation.